1A prickly bush or shrub that typically bears red, pink, yellow, or white fragrant flowers, native to north temperate regions and widely grown as an ornamental.
Genus Rosa, family Rosaceae (the rose family); many species, hybrids, and cultivars. This large family includes most temperate fruits (apple, plum, peach, cherry, blackberry, strawberry) as well as the hawthorns, rowans, and potentillas
- 1.1The flower of a rose bush.
‘he sent her a dozen red roses’
- ‘The church was beautifully decorated in white and pink roses.’
- ‘Anne threw open the back door that led into the formal rose garden.’
- ‘When she heard a knock, Jeannie grabbed a bouquet of white and light pink roses and opened the door.’
- ‘Zoe bent down to smell the bouquet of red, white, and pink roses.’
- ‘He picked a yellow rose of the bush behind them, putting it in her hand.’
- ‘He handed me the rose, and planted a kiss on my cheeks.’
- ‘Mixing red, yellow, pink and peach roses in a colored glass vase or stylish ceramic container adds elegance and charm.’
- ‘Everyone laid white and pink roses on the casket before the end of the burial.’
- ‘Place fragrant flowers (like roses and lilacs) in a vase about a foot behind an oscillating fan.’
- ‘Releasing her, he moved across to a bush crowned with yellow roses and bent down to enjoy its perfume.’
- ‘They found their way to the bridal table, set up with red, white and yellow roses.’
- ‘Tess was sitting on a mat on the driveway, sketching the roses on the rose bush.’
- ‘A spectacular rose garden is bursting into bloom in Capitol Park.’
- ‘Potted roses aren't less work or responsibility; they simply take up less space than a regular rose garden.’
- ‘It was made up of white oleanders and pink roses lined with small chrysanthemums tied together with a single satin ribbon.’
- ‘Stepping into the rose garden, she paused and looked up towards the sky.’
- ‘He brought Mother a gorgeous bouquet of all different flowers - red and pink roses, lilies and daisies.’
- ‘Two minutes later the pink and yellow roses sat in a vase on my dresser across from my bed.’
- ‘I was whisked away like a Hollywood star, holding bouquets of soft garden roses.’
- ‘The infestation in your rose garden is probably thrips.’
- 1.2Used in names of other plants whose flowers resemble roses, e.g. Christmas rose, rose of Sharon.
- ‘The rose of Sharon is a species of hibiscus, not a rose, but let that be.’
- 1.3A rose regarded as an emblem of beauty, delicacy, or purity.
‘she's a rose between two thorns’
- ‘Pushing away from the wall he grinned, ‘and you have bloomed into a rose beyond beauty.’’
- ‘His skin had been softened by the warm water of last night's bath, and his face was freshly shaved, soft as the petals of a rose.’
- ‘Ikanya instantly faded, like a rose losing its petals as it died.’
- ‘Beneath the perfect powdering of snow: layer on pastry layer fine as flakes from skin, petals from a rose.’
- ‘Her future, and all hopes of it, fluttered away like so many petals on a dying rose.’
- 1.4rosesUsed to refer to favourable circumstances or ease of success.
‘all is not roses in the firm today’
- ‘The days of big cheque books and wine and roses and players who are up in that league are gone.’
- ‘Despite winning accolades as Minister, his political career was not roses all the way.’
- ‘This past winter's cold took a heavy toll on various roses and butterfly bushes; it did in the rosemary, too.’
- ‘It may be wise to add peat moss or some form of compost to the dirt in the hole before planting the rose.’
- ‘In June it is literally covered with thousands of blush pink roses of amazing fragrance.’
- ‘In addition, a spray of yellow roses growing against a brick or stone home can be a beautiful addition to the landscape.’
- ‘On roses with yellow blooms, a lack of nitrogen frequently appears as yellow leaves.’
- ‘Prune your roses to increase blooming and decrease disease and pest problems.’
- ‘The first task for me will be cutting back roses and other shrubs, which calls for a great pair of loppers.’
- ‘The MacDonalds have gone for a pleasing mix of old and modern, shrub and bedding roses in white, pink, purple and gold.’
- ‘The consignment consists of six varieties of Indian roses - red, pink, white, yellow, orange and shaded.’
- ‘These roses can often grow back from their roots if their tops die from winter cold.’
- ‘Where northern roses are pruned in the spring, temperate climate roses are pruned in the fall or winter.’
- ‘Bush roses are shrub like and climbers produce canes that require some sort of support.’
- ‘There is a rose garden dotted with pink, red and yellow roses, as well as an outcrop of red sandstone which enjoys a commanding view.’
- ‘Shrub roses that flower only in spring should be pruned after they have flowered.’
- ‘Unlike the stiff and fussy hybrid tea roses, these roses make excellent landscape shrubs.’
- ‘Their purpose is to help all of us learn how to grow great roses, no matter what climate we live in.’
- ‘If you do make a mistake with a hybrid tea, a floribunda or a shrub rose, it is not too much trouble to pull it up.’
- ‘They also intended to grow roses and other flowers for commercial purposes.’
- ‘The sky was a clear blue, the landscape sloping into a bed of bright pink and yellow roses.’
- ‘I like to grow many kinds of roses including some of the more pest-prone kinds.’
- ‘When my neighbor retired he announced that he was going to spend his new freedom growing roses.’
The Meaning of Rose Colors
|The symbolism of rose colors is steeped in tradition. Roses inspired people over thousands of years to develop a language of color. |
When you choose a color, variety or number of roses for someone, you are personalizing your gift with deeper sentiment.
Rose colors may have very a different meaning from what you intend. Use our guide to help communicate your feelings.
|Red||Love, Beauty, Courage and Respect, Romantic Love, Congratulations, "I Love You", "Job Well Done", Sincere Love, Respect, Courage & Passion|
|Red (Dark)||Unconscious beauty|
|Red (Single)||"I Love You"|
|Deep Burgundy||Unconscious Beauty|
|White||Purity, Innocence, Silence, Secrecy, Reverence, Humility, Youthfulness, |
"I am worthy of you", Heavenly
|White (Bridal)||Happy love|
|Pink||Appreciation, "Thank you", Grace, Perfect Happiness, Admiration, Gentleness, "Please Believe Me"|
|Dark Pink||Appreciation, Gratitude, "Thank You"|
|Light Pink||Admiration, Sympathy, Gentleness, Grace, Gladness, Joy, Sweetness|
|Yellow||Joy, Gladness, Friendship, Delight, Promise of a new beginning, Welcome Back, Remember Me, Jealousy, |
|Yellow with Red Tip||Friendship, Falling in Love|
|Red and White||Given together, these signify unity|
|Red and Yellow||Jovial and Happy Feelings|
|Peach||Appreciation, Closing the deal, Let's get together, Sincerity, Gratitude|
|Lavender||Love at first sight, Enchantment|
|Orange||Enthusiasm, Desire, Fascination|
|Blue*||The unattainable, the impossible|
|Single - any color||Simplicity, Gratitude|
|Red Rosebud||Symbolic of purity and loveliness|
|White Rosebud||Symbolic of girlhood|
|Thorn-less Rose||"Love at first sight"|
* These roses do not actually exist in nature. They are created artificially.
Compiled, Edited, Programmed and Designed by: ARCADIAN - Real Knowledge Data Network (www.RKDN.org)
for information about our Web Design Services.
Programming and Design ©1997 - 2014 Real Knowledge Data Network.
~All Rights Reserved~
All other trademarks and copyrights remain the property of their respective owners.